Exco portfolio reports & minutes, June 2021

Below you will find the portfolio reports from each Excom member as well as the report from the treasurer.

The minutes from the latest Excom meeting in June 2021 are attached at the bottom of the page.

PORTFOLIO REPORTS – 8JUNE 2021

1 Treasurer                                                                      
1-2 Long-term projects                                                       
2 Events                                                                                                         
2-3 Parks and Maintenance                                                  
3-4 Environmental                                                              
4 Communications                                                            
4 Archcom                                                                         
4 Security                                                                         
4 Standards                                                                      
4 Waterways                                                                    

TREASURER REPORT

Bank Balances: as at 04/06/2021

Cheque A/c R51,124.30
Archcom A/c R329,942.93
Money Market A/c R789,690.80
Total R1,170,758.03

LONGER TERM PROJECTS – LATHIF GAFOOR

To The Outgoing Members of EXCOM

Fraternal Greetings

Having reached my Fifth year of service to EXCOM, in wishing everyone goodbye I thought it fitting that I submit a report in view of misgivings which members have shared regarding the performance of my portfolio.

I say this, as I was emailed at the beginning of my fifth year of office informing me that I’ll have to prove myself to EXCOM as a prerequisite to being welcomed to the team. The words are not verbatim, however, I found this to be a strange introduction to the team. This was only the beginning of other unfortunate emails I received. As proof, the following are some of the projects and interventions which I successfully resolved during my initial terms in office with members I truly enjoyed working with:

a. the reconstruction of the entire Eastlake island bridge b. the resurfacing and reconstruction of the arterial Uitsig road c. likewise with Oudevlei road from the robot to the confluence of Uitsig rd. which was done later Projects “b” and “c” were initiatives before joining EXCOM d. initial successes regarding the reduction of the noise factor emanating from the Cogella plant after numerous engagements with Congella management and the COCT e. a four year battle with the COCT culminating in a meeting in Rondevlei informing me that an allocation for a new Weedharvester was now budgeted for. At this meeting I also raised the necessity for funds for the dredging of silt at the mouth of the estuary. Subsequently an allocation of R500000.00 was made available for dredging purposes. Councillor Kuhl acknowledged my contribution in making this possible.

f. a number of road signs and road markings in accident prone areas were installed g. at the height of community unrest the VCDF was addressed by me in my pointing out the futility of some of the protest actions which were alienating communities rather than building bridges e.g., damages to the robot and petrol bombing of homes in San Marina.

The appeal seems to be holding thus far. Meetings with the Vrygrond taxi Association regarding their intervention was also solicited and noted h. there was also subtle talk of marching into the marina en masse in response to security companies stationed at the Marina entrance of the robot. This would have negatively impacted on house prices in the Marina and difficult if not impossible to reverse. I unequivocally advocated against this line of action based on misconceptions in that San Marina was an elitist enclave. I conveyed to them that the demographics of San Marina was changing thus reflecting a cosmopolitan kaleidoscope of an area in transition i. at a Ward meeting specifically constituted with role players in addressing the water crisis four years ago the subject of a desalination plant in the precinct was on the agenda for discussions. The pressing challenge was one of electricity in driving the project. I introduced the viability of harnessing methane gas from the dump site in Vrygrond in addressing this challenge. This was accepted and escalated to departments concerned and is now on the agenda for further discussions with the possibility of implementation.

j. the Marina originally had two Weedharvesters, one of which is now permanently based in Little Princess Vlei. Much effort was exerted in attempts to relocate the machine to the Marina where it is most needed including addressing sub council on the subject. Subsequently, undertakings were made that the machine would assist the Marina waterway when needed. An undertaking taken at subcouncil level that was reneged on. How unfortunate!

k. Together with the Living Hope Foundation, Rotary club and others we put together a two day programme affording free health services to the people of Vrygrond in terms of HIV testing, high blood pressure tests, diabetes prognosis, BMI testing, eye tests with specs sponsored by Specsavers. We serviced close onto 900 people. This was before Covid.

l. installation of a right-hand turn arrow at the M5/Military rd. juncture to Seawinds. Council has informed me that this has now been approved j.my engagements with the media, Cape Times/ Cape Argus in exposing and finally halting the futile attempts of the Department of Public Works in allocating R100 million in the reconstruction of the Muizenberg police station. Money which could be more productively spent in the building of a police station in Capricorn, thus my continued engagements with all spheres of government in realising this dream despite pushbacks from other departments

There are many other interventions I engage in and structures I serve on, including in Vrygrond, in helping create a sense of community in dispelling an us and them syndrome. Peter is aware of some of the projects I worked on in the interest of the Marina. Unfortunately, for the past year my portfolio was systematically whittled away from me on a journey of marginalisation culminating in my being nullified to a persona non grata.

Of course, the response I am expecting from some members of the committee is that I am on a self-glorification journey. I don’t mind criticism, as I merely responded to the negative perceptions of my portfolio leading to an unfortunate premise based on ambiguities culminating in misconceptions that it was a dysfunctional one.

Concluding, there are people who make things happen, those who watch what happens, and those who wonder what happened.

Forgiving is my gift to you. Moving on is a gift to myself.

Wa alaykumu s -salaam (May peace be upon you) Lathif

EVENTS – VALERIE BENSON

No upcoming events

PARKS AND MAINTENANCE – VALERIE BENSON

Gardening equipment purchased as follows for the use of the Marina Gardeners:

Hoes, pangas, 1 axe, 6 pairs gardening gloves, brooms, pans, 1 large and 1 small saw, 1 pick

Having the Ryobi weedeater serviced in June as its not working. Also purchasing a medium saw and raincoats for the team

Gardeners tidied up and replanted flower beds in the following areas:

Turks Head, Eastlake Island
Cannon Island Way
Oudevlei Road entrance, Uitsig
Uitsig Security hut garden area
Park Close, Park Island
Park Island security hut garden area
Tiller Arm, Cable Close, Cutter Close, Eastlake Island
Eastlake Drive/De Lille Square slipway, Park Island

Articles written and published in Marina newsletter and on Facebook on Andrea Pycroft (Cannon Island/Eastlake Island rep) and Silvia Stringer (Park Island rep)

ENVIRONMENTAL – LISE CARSWELL

Sewerage spills:
10/11 May – medium sized sewerage spill from the Sand River side
22/23 May – large sewerage spill in Marine estate that entered the vlei near the caravan park. This resulted in Muizenberg beach being closed while the mouth was opened to try to flush the system.
28 May – a spill in in Rutter, Lakeside, entered the vlei

The vlei was also closed on 25 May, after results came in from tests taken on the previous Friday. The vlei remains closed this week as rests taken last week show that, while the water quality has improved, the levels are just above what is acceptable for intermediate contact. Further, comprehensive, tests will be taken next week.

There has been talk that ZENR purposefully kept the vlei open for the canoe race on the weekend of the 22/23 May, even though they knew that the E. coli levels were too high. However, it must be noted that the canoe race went ahead based on water quality tests taken earlier that week. The vlei was closed, based on testing taken on the Friday before the race, with the results coming out on the 25th and therefore too late to stop the race.

NOT a Sewerage spill!
There have been numerous reports of a sewerage spill at the Eastlake Bridge and Dabchick area. The Kingfisher spent several days in the Marina canals, churning up the water. Because the Kingfisher has been out of action for so long and because of the large amounts of algae that rotted and sank, the smell that this is causing is very unpleasant. It isn’t a sewerage spill.

Promenade road restoration:
The Promenade road wetland restoration project started this week. The idea is to turn this forgotten piece or land into a wetland area to attract the frogs, as it forms the last remaining part of the link between the Table Mountain National Park and the Zandvlei Estuary Nature Reserve. In the second week of June they will start planting and have asked residents to assist. More information will be posted.

Zandvlei Video
There is an interesting video about the history of Zandvlei and the ongoing conservation efforts. You can watch it here https://youtu.be/CF5qk8wVF7U

ZPAAC
Paul, Nick and I attended a meeting yesterday which was basically a friendly meeting with the friends of Zeekoevlei and PAAC to get some sort of working relationship going. The Friends of Zeekoevlei are very active in their community and fund raise, educate, do clean-ups and generally get people involved.

It was a more interesting meeting this time, with a slightly clearer view of how to move forward. There is no actual ZPAAC at the moment. The thought was to use the Zandvlei Trust in the roll of bring everyone together and getting things moving on a community level. The Zandvlei Trust needs to be overhauled if this is to work.

Invitations have been sent out for the new ZPAAC committee and applications must be in by 28 June. Please find attached.

City responds to petition:
The City of Cape Town (CoCT) has given its formal response to the recent Zandvlei petition, including feedback on the area’s water quality and the new Kingfisher. You can read more here:

Kingfisher
The tender for the new weed harvester tender has been awarded. The MOA was signed, and the vendor has indicated that the anticipated delivery date is December 2021 / January 2022.

COMMUNICATIONS – PATRICK McKENNA

Our Communications team has established a good working relationship with Janine Avery at 5 Star Stories that is helping to produce a regular flow of good quality information across our three platforms: the blog, Facebook and our weekly newsletter. I am currently finalising up a proposal for monetising these platforms through advertising. I plan to present this proposal to our Communications team and the chairman later this month and follow-up at our next ExCom meeting. There appears to have been a drop-off in the frequency and intensity of negative and abusive social media posts. While this is welcome, it does not mean job done. We will continue to use our voice to address issues that concern our community. We are equally aware that there is always room to improve and increase our output. June is likely to be a busy month with new ExCom members to introduce and an AGM to report on. Meanwhile, we held a useful meeting towards the end of May with a group of local estate agents to discuss the draft welcome pack that we plan to produce for newcomers to the Marina. We hope to finish drafting by the end of this month before circulating the document for ExCom’s approval and comment.

ARCHCOM – PAUL HIGGINS

Archcom meeting was held on 27th May 2021.

5 plans scrutinised
5 passed

Design Manual revised completed

SECURITY – PETER ALLEN

Uitsig quotes in hand for covering the Public Open Space from North Wall to Coniston Park – approximately

6 cameras dependent on configuration and poles.

Battleridge Security meeting postponed to 14th June

Herewith the Crime stats from DBS.

UitsigHeron Place, Shearwater DrHBT08.05.202115h40NoSuspect entered Uitsig under pretence of coming to work at a resident. Suspect was caught by DBS with stolen goods but resident did not want to open a case.
Cannon IslandCannon Island WayTheft from washing line23.05.202114h17No2 x C/M stole clothing and bedding off washing line

STANDARDS

Approximately 12 new cases are in the pipeline

Meet gardening rep, Silvia Stringer

Silvia Stringer, who was born in Switzerland, and her husband Mike, moved to Park Island from Constantia two years ago, wanting a more relaxed lifestyle and a smaller house and garden. She had a large garden in Constantia, where she gained a lot of knowledge and experience through managing it on her own.

Silvia qualified as a psychometrist, someone who carries out psycho-educational assessments with children, ranging from establishing school readiness and identifying
learning disabilities in youngsters struggling academically to providing career guidance and advising on subject choice, among other things. She is also a registered counsellor
specialising in teenagers, and ran her own practice for 15 years.

Armed with years of gardening knowledge and enthusiasm, Silvia started her own business called Succulent Creations 4 U during last year’s lockdown using succulents in artistic ways. Her superb creations can be seen at the San Marina clubhouse craft market on the first Saturday of each month.

marina-da-gama-gardening

We approached Silvia earlier this year to be the contact person for the Marina Gardeners
when they are in Park Island. Her interests include animals, dog sports, water sports and
gardening, and she is committed to helping the Marina Gardeners restore neglected parts of our beautiful neighbourhood.

The Marina Gardeners work every Tuesday in a different part of the Marina so, every third Tuesday, they will be in Park Island with Silvia. On Tuesday 18 May 2021, Silvia and the gardeners, led by Staffa Hussein, tackled the open space in Park Close, which was quite overgrown. The team also cleared the garden beds surrounding the guard hut at the
entrance to Park Island.

Together, the Marina Gardeners, Staffa and Silvia accomplished a huge amount on the day, and nearby residents expressed their thanks.

If you know of any public open spaces (not private verges, please) that need attention, have plants you wish to donate, or can assist in watering flower beds in Park Island, please feel free to contact Silvia on 073 509 7465 or email the Marina da Gama Association on marinadagama@iafrica.com.

Please remember that verges are the residents’ responsibility and so is the removal of
cuttings from private gardens.

Read our latest minutes, portfolio reports

Minutes of EXCOM – MARINA DA GAMA ASSOCIATION TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY 11th May 2021 AT 18:00 AT THE OFFICES OF THE MDGA ASSOCIATION

Minutes

  1.       Welcome and apologies – Angus Hemp and Scott Attfield and Lathif Gafoor apologised

    Present – Lise Kargaard, Peter Allen, Patrick Mc Kenna, Paul Higgins, Valerie Benson, John Lubbe, Richard Midgley

    Visitor Nick Bode apologised
  •       Approval of agenda; confirmation of approval and adoption of minutes of meeting – 13th April 2021 – Confirmed unanimously
  •       Correspondence – Brief discussion of e mails received. Our Standard response to members that are outstanding with Subscriptions was communicated to members.

    A resident has indicated that they wish to take MDGA to CSOS regarding outside lights.
  •       Portfolio reports

4.1             Treasurer
Bank Balances
4.2             Communications
4.3             Waterways & Environment
4.4             Events
4.5             Archcom
4.6             Standards
4.8             Parks and Gardens
4.9             Security
4.10           Long-term projects
4.11           General

AGM – Date approved 22nd June 2021 – at the Masque Theatre at 19h00 doors open at 18h30 – we will be publishing Audited Financial Statements, proxy forms, RSVP forms (due to Masque Theatre policy on social distancing, AGM notice, AGM agenda, nomination forms for Exco and Revised Standards Manual and Building Regulations in the next 10 days

Security – Unanimous Vote on provision of 4 camera’s to cover the Road Reserve between the North Wall and Coniston Park, as well as 2 camera’s to cover the Geneva Road ends of Battleridge. Estimated total cost of R110,000 , which is part of the ringfenced R350,000 security Budget approved in 26th March 2018 AGM. Current Balance in Security Capex Reserve Fund is R134,000

Litter on Prince George Drive especially after Sunday Market day – LK to follow up with Aimee regarding Market organisers to try and instil a better clean up program and in general an elimination of litter and single use bags.

Welcome packs – PMc has utilised existing Welcome to Marina Packs and updated same – RM to invite all Estate Agents to meeting were draft can be discussed and improved – get sponsors and have printed – so each new resident – and some who have lost theirs – can have a hard copy with all necessary information and contact numbers.

Meeting finished at 19h00

5.         Date of next meeting – 8th June   2021 at 18h00

Portfolio Reports

TREASURER REPORT

Bank Balances: as at 07/05/2021

Cheque A/c                              R      32,210.20
Archcom A/c                             R    329,341.09
Money Market A/c                     R    777,563.50
Total                                        R 1,139,114.79

ARCHCOM – PAUL HIGGINS
Archcom meeting was held on 23 April 2021 attended by Eduardo Nunes, Gordon Hart and me.
Seven new plans were submitted, and three plans were approved. Three submission needed some    clarification or minor changes before our consent will be given. One plan was rejected outright as it was in total contravention to all aesthetic standards as prescribed in the design manual.

WATERWAYS and ENVIRONMENTAL – ANGUS HEMP & LISE CARSWELL
In response to the petition that has been circulating, which demands action to improve the condition of Zandvlei, a meeting was held on 23.04.21 at The Zandvlei Lookout.

Matters raised at the meeting included:

Dr Kevin Winter of UCT’s  Future Water Institute in the Department of Environmental and Geographical Science gave details of how the Friends of the Liesbeeck River have fund- raised, including getting overseas Dutch funding, and are able to employ full-time gardeners and litter collectors to keep the river pristine. Evidence of this can be seen in the river and its surrounds near the M3 and Paradise Motors.

The meeting was reminded of the CoCT 2018 document “Zandvlei Estuarine Management Plan” https://resource.capetown.gov.za/documentcentre/Documents/City%20research%20reports%20and%20review/Inland_Water_Quality_Report_FULL.pdf
The city is planning a 40-year water strategy to produce a water sensitive city.

Two CoCT employees gave presentations on what is being done to improve matters.

Andrew Taylor, Senior Professional Officer with Water and Sanitation, had a lot of very interesting information to share. The Low Lift sewerage plant upgrade will be finished by the end of May. While his team spent 8 years fighting sewerage system fires, they are now in a place where they are making proper changes.

Between July 2019 and June 2021, CoCT allocated approximately R350 million towards upgrading and rehabilitating the sewage network. The Zandvlei-specific figures are as follows:
Muizenberg sewer relining – R4 500 000
Albertyn Road sewer cleaning – R50 000
Axminster Road and Clifton Road sewer cleaning – R1 200 000

New pump station in Military Road, Retreat Main refurbishment and re-lining of sewers – R82 000 000

Read more about Andrew Taylor and the work they are doing on             https://mdga.co.za/2021/05/06/talking-shit-with-city-engineer-andrew-taylor/

Abdullah Parker, from CoCT Stormwater Management, and therefore the person responsible for opening and closing the mouth, announced that a Sand River open public day would be arranged on a date to be announced.The mouth was opened the very next day and the channel was properly dredged, allowing for good flow, as promised.

Reserve Manager, Kyran Wright, told of the long-arm back actor being employed at the vlei mouth to encourage the carrying out of sand from the vlei back into the sea, in  a controlled opening to the sea. 

People driving along Military road and Main road will see that there has been extensive clearing of the Keysers and Westlake rivers in anticipation of our winter rains.

Nick Bode, who represents the fishermen of the Vlei, mentioned that this year the fishing has been the best he has experienced in years. This was confirmed by the fish trek that was done recently. We are waiting on the report from the fish trek and will report on that. Nick also demonstrated his algae cleaner which we have been using to clean algae.

Sewerage spills
22 April in the Langevlei Canal
26 April report from Tokai Close was not sewerage. However small overflow from the Low lift, caught by Trevor’s team

Following last month’s low oxygen levels, tests have continued. Oxygen levels have improved but are not yet back to normal.

Kingfisher
The part for the conveyor belt has arrived and bee fitted. A diesel leak has been discovered and will be   fixed today. Hopefully back in the water next week.

The new Kingfisher has been approved, as mentioned before, and building of the machine is to commence in July. Nothing new to report

Litter
Several residents have brought up the need to clear litter along Prince George Drive, both from the    Sunday market and from the people hanging along the road waiting for jobs. Aimee Kuhl has been    contacted in this regard. Perhaps we can discuss allocate funds to a weekly clean-up?

EVENTS – VALERIE BENSON

MONDAY QUIZ NIGHT AT MARINA BISTRO on 3.5.2021

On Monday 3rd May 2021 at 7pm, 11 teams participated in the Marina Bistro quiz night in Eastlake! Our quizmasters were Marina husband and wife team, Andy and Jill Rumbelow, from Uitsig Peninsula. Funds of R430 were raised for the beneficiary, the Guide Dog Association. The same team, Island Matters, has won each time up till now so it’s definitely time for a new winner!

The next quiz will be with quizmaster, Trevor Quelch – date to be confirmed.

PARKS AND MAINTENANCE VALERIE BENSON
As from 14th April 2021, I have been running the Parks and Garden Portfolio temporarily while the current holder, Scott Attfield, attends to some professional matters.

The Marina Gardeners’ team, led by Staffa, work every Tuesday on a rotational basis in the various    areas of the Marina. Park Island, then Uitsig Peninsula, then Cannon Island and Eastlake Island.

Each area of the Marina has a local resident guiding the Marina Gardeners on the relevant Tuesday. Silvia Stringer represents Park Island, Andrea Pycroft represents Cannon Island and Eastlake Island and Sharon Gunn was the Uitsig Peninsula representative. Sharon Gunn has requested a 6 month leave of absence due to personal and professional commitments so I have advertised on local whatsapp groups for a resident to replace Sharon for now. Sharon did send me an excellent guideline to what she and the Marina Gardeners focus on in Uitsig so I will pass that along to the next person once found.

Since April 2021, the Marina Gardeners have attended to the following in the Marina:

De Lille / Eastlake Drive, Park Island – two days was spent on clearing overgrown reeds from a public slipway and trimming back a large tree in the same area which could be used to hide items or potential criminals. An abandoned canoe was discovered once the tree was trimmed back

Texel Close, Uitsig Peninsula – trimming back of overgrown hedge which obscured drivers view of   Oudevlei Road when turning from Texel Close into Oudevlei Road. The overhanging tree branch at the north wall was chopped off as it was obscuring the view of the North Wall security camera. Resident permission was obtained as the tree was on resident property. Bushes were trimmed back at the council open space alongside the Red Roman canal to prevent criminals from hiding in the bushes or  hiding stolen items

The Marina Gardeners have received their Marina da Gama Association branded uniforms and are wearing them proudly.

Council is being contacted on a weekly basis to collect the garden debris from areas the Marina Gardeners have worked on. The collections do need to be monitored to ensure collections are made timeously.

STANDARDS – JOHN LUBBE
Radaar count for the month:

  • (2) cases added
  • (5) cases edited
  • (14) resolved
  • (6) pending listing

On a more specific note, the following case are currently as follows:

  • Shearwater Drive, Uitsig (illegal structure) matter has been handed over to Quinton Carelse (Building Inspector) at City and they are actively dealing with the matter.
  • Eastlake Drive, Uitsig (wooden fence on Prince George Drive) a letter has been sent out as no email communication. Awaiting a resolution.
  • Baalen (build has been completed) current situation of exposed drainage pipes. Spoken to him about two weeks ago last, awaiting a response.

            COMMUNICATIONS – PATRICK McKENNA

I have spent significant time since our last meeting working with Lise Carswell to fine-tune the production of our weekly newsletter and blog posts. I expect to make some changes to the process over the next four weeks. We will then have more time to focus on other priorities, such as monetising our service directory, publishing our booklet welcoming newcomers to the Marina, and helping with the update of the Standards manual. WE will also be preparing documentation for the next AGM. Meanwhile, we are building up the volume of content on the blog, matching quantity with quality.

SECURITY – PETER ALLEN
Herewith the DBS Crime stats of all crime either reported to DBS or attended by DBS from 08/04/2021 to 07/05/2021.

MARINA DA GAMA AUDITED FINANCIAL STATEMENT AND BUDGET 2021 attached

Notice of this year’s MDGA AGM

MDGA AGM, Tuesday 22 June, Masque Theatre, Muizenberg

Doors open at 18.30 to start at 19.00 sharp.

Due to lockdown level 3 we have made the following changes to the AGM setup:

MASQUE THEATRE

· A maximum of 50 in total people are permitted inside the venue. – RSVP imperative by Monday 21st 12 noon.

· Masks and temperature testing is mandatory. Registration before entering the auditorium.

· Once you have registered, kindly proceed to your seat. No refreshments of any kind will be available.

ZOOM

· We are introducing a Zoom option for members.

· Email marinadagama@iafrica.com to receive the invite code. This must be done before 12 noon on the 22nd.

· The Zoom option will be live-streamed to the gathering and the option for questions and comments will be available.

PROXY

· Proxy/ballot forms have been amended to include two new ordinary resolutions, so please ensure that you are using the attached version.

· We sent our revised Standards and Building Manual on the 15 June for a vote at the AGM. Kindly ensure you are referring to the latest version.

ExCom is satisfied that in combination – proxy’s, Zoom participants and members present – will qualify as part of quorum, with 60 members required to be quorate.

If you want your voice to be heard but cannot attend the AGM in person or via Zoom, please complete your proxy form and submit it to the MDGA office before 12 noon on 22 June.

UPDATE YOUR DETAILS so you can continue to receive communications from the Association.
E-mail address: marinadagama@iafrica.com
Website:            www.mdga.co.za

IMPORTANT DATES:

Whilst these dates are mandated – the earlier that RSVP’s can be submitted the better for Social Distancing

  • 31st May 2021 – final submission of resolutions
  • 18th June 2021 – final acceptance of EFT payments for subscriptions
  • 18th June 2021 RSVP for Masque Covid Protocol
  • 22nd June 2021 @ 12:00 – final acceptance at MDGA office of proxy forms. Late proxy forms may be dropped in the ballot box at the AGM (with certified identification)

The following information will be available on the website at the end of May 2021:

  1. Agenda
  2. Chairman’s Report
  3. Presentation of Exco
  4. Adoption of Previous AGM’s Minutes
  5. Adoption of Annual Financial Statements (AFS) for year ending 28th February 2021
  6. Resolutions
  7. Any other Business
 By order of Excom
 Richard Midgley

Meet gardening rep, Andrea Pycroft

Originally from Zimbabwe, Andrea Pycroft moved to Cannon Island from Wynberg with her husband, Anthony, and their two children in March 2017.

While her daughter was a school, she taught art at Herschel Girls’ School, and still loves to paint birds and wildlife in her chosen mediums, watercolour and acrylic. In Zimbabwe, she ran her own company, Andy Pandy, which specialised in children’s nursery décor. She enjoys the outdoors and regularly hikes in the mountains or walks the Muizenberg to Kalk Bay route.

Earlier this year, Andrea was approached to be the contact person for the Marina Gardeners when they are in Cannon Island and Eastlake Island. She loves gardening and really wants to help the Marina Gardeners restore neglected parts of our beautiful neighbourhood.

The Marina Gardeners work every Tuesday in a different part of the Marina. So, every third Tuesday, they are in Cannon Island/Eastlake Island with Andrea. This past Tuesday, Andrea and the gardening team led by Staffa Hussein, tackled the pathway in Cable Close, where roots were pushing up the bricks. The team also cleared and replenished the flowerbeds at the Tiller Arm parking area with various water-wise plants.

The Eastlake Island irrigation system is scheduled to be fine-tuned. But, until this is done, it would be great if someone could volunteer to water the new beds that Andrea and Staffa’s team create.

The team also cleared the overgrown flowerbeds in Turk’s Head and plan to replenish the plants there in due course. Again, we’d very much appreciate it if someone could volunteer to water these beds.

If you have any plants you wish to donate, if you can assist with watering flower beds, or if you want to raise concerns about any of the public open spaces in Eastlake Island or Cannon Island, please feel free to contact Andrea on 084 368 8763 or email the Marina da Gama Association on marinadagama@iafrica.com.

Please remember that verges are the resident’s responsibility.

Meanwhile, we’re sure you will agree that the Marina Gardeners, Staffa and Andrea accomplished quite a lot last Tuesday.