ExCom’s latest minutes and portfolio reports

Minutes of EXCOM – MARINA DA GAMA ASSOCIATION held on Tuesday 12th April 2022 at 18h00 at the Offices of the MDGA at 18h00  

  1. Welcome, Attendance and Apologies
  2. Approval of Minutes of 8th March 2022
  3. Portfolio reports:
  • Treasurer – Finance: Bank Balances
  • Communications
  • Waterways
  • Events
  • Archcom
  • Standards
  • Parks and Gardens
  • Security
  • Infrastructure
  • General

4. Matters Arising

  • Year End Audit and Financials – Year End February
  • Upcoming AGM
  • Access Control
  • Paraphernalia (T-Shirts)
  • General

Attendance: Ulf Martz (Vice Chair), Peter Allen (Security); Patrick Makenna (Communications); Dominique Erasmus (Events); Jannik Röttcher (Infrastructure).

Apologies: Richard Midgley (Chairman); Graham Barratt (Standards); Paul Higgins (Archcom and Waterways)

3.1       TREASURER, COMPLIANCE AND LEGAL

Bank Balances: as of 8th April 2022

Cheque A/cR50,843.64
Archcom A/c R309,185.40
Money Market A/cR829,120.75
TotalR1,189,149.79

 Portfolio Reports

Communications:

PM reported that an up-to-date quote to print 100 copies of the new residents’ booklet has been received. PM will submit the breakdown later this week and once PM obtained approval and will place a print order.

The delay was caused by the death of our designer, Mark Bolton, who sadly passed away after a bad fall at his home followed by an in-hospital infection.

The MDGA needs to find someone to take over the management of our online advertising. PM does not have the experience or know-how to do the job. Above all, he does not have the time. Meanwhile, work continues as usual on all our communication channels.

SECURITY – PETER ALLEN

Herewith the Crime stats for March 22.

Crime stats of incidents reported to DBS/Attended by DBS during March 2022.

Uitsig: Carp Close:  Att: Theft: 31.03.22: 15h00: No: Four kids tried to steal a tied-up boat but ran away when spotted by resident

LPR triggers for March 2022:

  • Triggers received – 29
  • Vehicles involved – 12

Alleged Crime Types –

Drug Dealing

Poaching Suspects

Suspicious MV

Remote Vehicle Jamming

Gang Affiliation

Theft Out/From MV

Illegal Possession Firearm

Buyer of Suspected Stolen Property

Shoplifting

Fraud

Outcome – 17 Triggers; Vehicle were out of the area before SSP’s arrived

                     12 Triggers; Vehicle were followed out of the area by SSP’s

LPR and OVERVIEW camera report:

Sonnet LPR faulty since 15/03 – Fault reported on 17/03 – Repaired 17/03

Sonnet Overview faulty since 16/03 – Fault reported on 17/03 – Repaired 17/03/22. It was noted that one of the faulty security cameras needed to be replaced.

WATERWAYS

Extract from Zandvlei Trust:

Over the past few weeks numerous people in the broader community have been invited to presentations about the future of the City’s waterways. Our new mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis has arrived like a flood of fresh water, pledging to put all the Councils resources behind the rehabilitation of our natural waterways. This is something most of us have been willing for most of our lives.

The concrete canalization of most of our rivers by the City’s storm-water engineers mid last century; agricultural pollution from as far afield as Malmsbury, but also our local golf courses and wine farms; mass urbanisation and resulting informal settlements that have flooded around green spaces and waterways; misuse and damaging of the sewerage system* and an aging sewerage infrastructure …

This financial year alone around R5-billion by my reckoning has been budgeted to start the massive project of reclaiming our rivers and wetlands. While most of it is earmarked for upgrading and maintaining the sewerage system, more than R50-million has been allocated to improving the Sand-Langevlei River system.

Phase One will be creating wetland “sink” at their confluence, which will help trap and process sewage spills, while also contain other pollution, acting as a natural trap and filter. Phase Two will look at rehabilitating those rivers back to a semi-natural state – as God and/or Mother Nature intended. It’s not a quick fix thing and will take decades to see through. Nevertheless, the process has started, and the wheels are already turning.

Within the next few months, we have been told, the process of public participation and consultation will begin, when we’ll have a say about how things could and should be done.

(Courtesy Zandvlei Trust)

A notice was received from Kyran Wright that a sewage spill was detected on (11.04.2022) to be flowing into Marina da Gama waterways in the Baalen Way channel. While the output flow rate and volume was relatively minor, the spill did persist until the following morning. The spill has subsequently ceased and the blockage rectified, however there is a risk to recreational users of the Marina da Gama waterways in the direct vicinity. Please would users exercise caution when utilising the northern canals in the Marina.

Water quality sampling shall be conducted to ascertain the extent of the spill and will update ZPAAC accordingly. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please see the aerial footage below, indicating the site of the spill and area to be avoided.

(Courtesy Kyran Wright; COCT Zandvlei Nature Reserve Manager) EXCOM members requested a follow up on the Status of the New Kingfisher.

EVENTS

DE attended the Water Awareness Day. Upcoming events will be communicated. Planned events starting on 5th May 2022 include Art evenings to be hosted at the Eastlake Centre.

Archcom

Archcom meeting was held on 7th April 2021 attended by Gordon Hart and Paul Higgins.

Two resubmissions of plans were dealt with, one approved and the other needs some verifications before acceptance. A site visit to the approved submission was done to verify that the plan correctly depicts what has been constructed. One “no objection to departure” of a previously approved plan was dealt with.

Vrygrond Housing Development – comments submitted.

Standards

Edits            – NIL

Resolved – Total 1 No

Additions – Total 9 No Detail reports submitted.

  

PARKS AND GARDENS

MDGA Gardeners met on Meeting 5th April 2022.

Present: Richard Midgley (MDGA), Ulf Martz (MDGA), Andie Pycroft (Cannon Island and Eastlake), Silvia Stringer (Park Island), Koemi Rowe (Uitsig), Staffa (Gardening Service).

Budgets – An annual amount of R10,000 had been allocated to be divided into the three (3) Islands.

Mulch – Richard to contact JP for delivery but only in June – must avoid Palm Cuttings.

Compost – Richard will advise ALL once he has had a chat with Peter the Mushroom Compost Guy – and ladies will contact him for deliveries to each island, scheduled for Mon 11th April 2022.

Conflict of interest – Silvia and Scott’s wholesaler – absolutely no problem – Scott confirmed that Silvia can proceed.

Richard spoke to Scott regarding Trees – given to Marina by CoCT – will update ladies PGD wall – Ulf to approach CoCT to surface (Asphalt) to section of wall between sidewalks.

INFRUSTRUCTURE

Blocked sewer lines on Cannon Island Way/ Admirals Walk were report to the CoCT. Queries from broken inspection covers were received by residents

Meeting finished at: 19:15

Date of next meeting –Tuesday 10th May 2022 at 18h00

Minutes and portfolio reports (March 2022)

Minutes of EXCOM – MARINA DA GAMA ASSOCIATION held on 8th March 2022 at the Offices of the MDGA at 18h00  

  1. Welcome to all–

Present – Patrick Mc Kenna, Paul Higgins, Richard Midgley, Graham Barratt, Ulf Martz, Dominique Erasmus, Jannik Rottcher

Via Zoom – Peter Allen

2. Unanimous Approval of Minutes of 8th February 2022

3. Portfolio Reports

3.1       TREASURER, COMPLIANCE AND LEGAL

Bank Balances: as at 04/03/2022

Cheque A/cR41,803.47
Archcom A/c R318,634.78
Money Market A/cR587,251.20
TotalR947,689.45

4)    Matters Arising

(A)  Chair, V Chair and Communication Portfolio to meet with Bistro Management

(B)  Face Book Adverts – MDGA voted unanimously – absolutely no adverts besides community based – not for profit adverts

(C) Design Manual – Exco voted unanimously for updated resolutions – 1, 2, 3 (with wording to be amended by VC see below) 4 and 5 but voted no for resolution regarding Aluminium Blinds, which is not reflected here.  These Resolutions are to be submitted to MDGA AGM in June 2022 for approval by the members.

Resolution 3 Plans submission – V Chair to provide amended wording – regarding Compliance with National, Provincial and City legislation in plan submission – as per the MDGA Constitution.

Explanation – Below resolutions – Strikethrough – is removal of wording or entire clause and yellow highlights is inclusion of new wording

So, we are now down to 5 resolutions – asbestos removal in part of resolution 1, gutters included due to drought and the correction of previous resolution worded incorrectly regarding your verge are fairly obvious. That leaves 3 new resolutions.  – One confirming the original design criteria of the Marina (1 below) as well as the removal of Asbestos, another being statutory (3 below), and last being a necessity of keeping the roadways uncluttered (5 below).  Exco voted unanimously to approve these 5 proposed resolutions – with wording to be amended on resolution 3. These Resolutions are to be submitted to AGM in June 2022 for approval by the members.

  1. Pitched roofs must be enclosed by parapets on two or more sides and always on gabled ends. Curved and decorated gables and hipped roofs are prohibited. Clippped eaves and Overhanging eaves are also prohibited. The roof pitch must be between 10 and 25. The roof must be black, blue-black or dark grey in colour. Only slate, cement tiles and asbestos fibre cement slate are permitted. This is an aesthetics issue and health in removing asbestos from materials acceptable

Explanation There was, I believe, a fundamental error in the original Design Manual insofar as it did not differentiate between gable eaves and gutter eaves. Gable eaves are not possible (i.e. the roof oversailing the gable wall) as it is a requirement that roofs are contained within parapets. Gutter eaves have universally been constructed throughout the Marina with clipper gutter eaves (In other words with the fascia board and gutter fixed directly onto the wall without an overhang.). The removal of asbestos is self-explanatory and fibre cement is the modern-day equivalent.

2. Gutters were not a feature of early Cape architecture owing to the difficulty of gathering water from thatch. Where gutters are required by the Local Authority, it is recommended that they should be fully concealed or as insignificant as possible. A non-corrosive material such as PVC is recommended for gutters and downpipes.   Explanation With water scarcity we want to encourage run off water collection

3. SUBMISSION OF PLANS:

Plans submitted for consideration by ARCHCOM must contain the following, minimum information:     Explanation I haven’t copied all – but this is in order to comply with CoCT planning requirements and to speed up CoCT approvals – V Chair to provide clearer wording

4. Owners are required to maintain the planting within the road verge directly opposite   outside their property. Any substantial trees within the verge may not be removed without application to and the approval of the Parks and Forests Department of the City of Cape Town.  

             Explanation: Correction of previous resolution – you need to look after your own verge

5. Caravans and motorhomes shall not be stored on public property or in a visible position on private property. Long term boat parking on public roads is not permitted 

     Explanation: streets get cluttered with cars, caravans and boats parking on the roads

(D) AGM proposed dates – any weekday dates 7 to 28th June (21st a public Holiday)

      dependent on availability – venue Masque Theatre or Muizenberg High School –

      unanimously approved by Exco.

(E) Year End delayed by approx 2 weeks to week of 21st March due to Janet –

      Bookkeeper accident but 2021/2022 Statements as well as March 2022

      Statements will be mailed and or hand delivered by 14th March

(F) Special Rates Area (SRA) and or Gated Community (GA)- Chair raised these

      issues as the most significant issues that will improve the value of properties in

      the Marina. They are very different options – basically the SRA – is a mechanism

      to have City collect monthly special rates fee – that the Marina Association can

      use to benefit members. The GA is a different proposition – that we would apply

      to City – and if successful – we would close the Marina, with selected entrances

      having Guard Houses and complete access control. The MDGA would require

      75% of Members approval, and would have to enter into binding agreements to

      preserve and maintain all City assets – which would have to be bought or leased

      from the City – like Roads, Public open Spaces etc. This would be a significant

      step – with a transfer of infrastructure risk to the Marina. The possibility is there

      that sections of the Marina could be closed and not the entire Marina? This is a

      weighty issue, and the City documents will be shared with Exco as a first step in

      the process. Exco position on SRA vs GA – Exco decided that the Manager

      Southern Peninsula for the CoCT – Mr Gonzales will be invited by PH to brief

      Exco on road forward with advantages and disadvantages of changes.

     (G) Marina T-Shirts – UM circulated the proposed logo designs for T-shirts via email

           prior to the meeting, for review and further comments by EXCO, for

           consideration.   

(H) Welcome Pack is completed, and PM Advertisers have given approval –

      Designer in hospital – go ahead to print on his recovery.

(I) UM commented that the City of Cape Town had responded to the request for

    traffic calming measures at Shearwater Drive, having declined the application due

    to no schools or creches located in the area.

5) Date of next meeting – 12th April 2022 at 18h00 at MDGA Offices

Meeting Finished at 19h30

 Portfolio Reports

SECURITY – PETER ALLEN

Herewith the Crime stats for Feb 22.

UitsigShearwaterAtt Housebreak05.02.22Between 21h00 04/02 and 08h00 05/02NoSuspect/s jumped over front wall and tried to force open back window
Battle RidgeBattle RidgeAtt Theft of MV07.02.2204h39Yes Muizenberg3 x suspects with White Quantum tried to steal vehicle
Park IslandMeulen closeTheft09.02.2208h00 to 09h30Yes MuizenbergSuspect/s stole Generator and other goods from premises
Eastlake IslandCutter CloseAtt Theft15.02.2203h00NoSuspect/s tried to steal bird bath
UitsigCootAtt Theft18.02.2223h30NoSuspect tried to steal goods through open window

LPR triggers for February 2022

Triggers received – 39

Vehicles involved – 12

Alleged Crime Types – Drug Dealing

                                         Poaching Suspects

                                         Cable Theft

                                         Robbery Hijacking

                                         Theft Vodacom/MTN Batteries

                                         Suspicious MV

                                         Farm Attack

Outcome – 28 Triggers; Vehicle were out of the area before SSP’s arrived                    

11 Triggers; Vehicle were followed out of the area by SSP’s

PARKS AND MAINTENANCE
Staffa and team did 2 days’ work on Prince George Drive wall – removing litter and weeds during month – what a big difference. Most piles of cuttings cleared during month. Gardening ladies have continued strong start to new year – we are arranging mulch in time for rains – and are moving forward on well points for irrigation

INFRUSTRUCTURE – ULF MARTZ

Overview
Activities during February 2022 involved liaison with City of Cape Town officials.

Asset Management

CoCT Procurement of new weed harvester, commissioning and delivery expected June 2022.

Still awaiting asset register in terms of municipal services from the CoCT.

Obtained layout of DWS services.

Roads and Stormwater
Some minor water leakages were reported to the CoCT, which were attended to and repaired.

Infrastructural Development
Zandvlei Expressway/Parkway (M3-M5) link road:

Various correspondence addressed to the CoCT relating to the Marina da Gama Road conditions and status of the M3-M5 link were sent to City officials.

Received some promising feedback relating to the M3-M5 link, however the Road falls under the jurisdiction of Province and a Budget allocation needs to be secured. 

Vrygrond Housing Development – comments submitted.

Bridges
Nothing to report.   

Water and Sanitation
A meeting was held on 20 January 2022 with City officials from DWS relating to the malfunctioning pumpstations. Further discussions were held at the ZPAAC meeting held on 26 January 2022. Subsequently, CoCT released the water quality test results with the notification to lift the ban of intermediate recreational usage of the waterways – refer to Waterways Report.

Electricity Supply
Nothing to report.  

Incidents and Faults Logged
Road accident in San Marina (Dec’2021), resulting in a resident’s wall being damaged has been recorded. Introduction of Traffic calming measures to be applied for with the City of Cape Town. The application was sent to the CoCT.

Pedestrian Flows
The high pedestrian flow on Eastlake Drive using the roadway is considered hazardous for motorists. Consideration to provide appropriate sidewalks should be addressed with the CoCT.  A formal submission has been prepared and submitted.

STANDARDS – Graham Barratt

  • Edits – Total 11 No.
  • Resolved – Total 6 No.
  • Additions – Total 4 No.

EVENTS – Dominique Erasmus

1) The first creative night was a lot of fun and I foresee it growing holistically into a few avenues. 

2) Myself and Patrick have decided to shift the open studio back by a week, due to it being Easter weekend and potentially a lot of people being away. In hopes that this generates more interest. 

3) I had almost settled on a bench for Uitsig park but this did not materialise, I will continue the hunt. 

4) I have secured a future sponsor for prizes for on either the braai or water event- mind you perhaps both

ARCHCOM – Paul Higgins

Archcom meeting was held on 03 March 2022 attended by Gordon Hart and me.

Three new plans were submitted, and two plans were approved. One submission needed some clarification or minor changes before our consent will be given.

No objection to two departures were delt with and two enquiries regarding signage need to be discussed at the next EXCOM meeting

COMMUNICATIONS – Patrick McKenna

We are in the process of bedding in a new process for managing our online communications. We are also scheduled to print copies of the welcome brochure within the next few days. Otherwise, our work continues as normal with regular updates on all channels.

WATERWAYS – NICK BODE

Continual interaction with role players has seen the waterways being opened for intermediate contact and unfortunately on-going Kingfisher breakdowns. On the positive side, despite numerous unfounded rumours the new Kingfisher is still has an anticipated delivery date of June 2022.

The City reports back on latest ZPAAC meeting

Following the reopening of Zandvlei on Wednesday, 23 February 2022 and Zeekoevlei today, Friday 25 February 2022, the City of Cape Town met with representatives from the Protected Areas Advisory Committee (PAAC) and Friends of Zeekoevlei to discuss recent water quality data and the collective interventions needed to address chronic pollution in the waterbodies.

‘As a City, we wanted to meet with the users and surrounding communities of Zandvlei and Zeekoevlei to discuss the water quality results with them, and how we can work together for cleaner waterways. This is part of our commitment to transparency and building partnerships with communities. We appreciate the feedback during the meeting and look forward to more engagements in future.

‘The City’s Scientific Services Branch is ISO/IEC 17025 SANAS accredited, which is a standard global benchmark that ensures strict quality controls are in place for generating accurate and reliable water quality laboratory results.

‘Recent colilert E.coli tests undertaken at Zandvlei and Zeekoevlei by Scientific Services show comparable results with the tests undertaken by outside accredited laboratories.

‘In order to promote transparency on water quality results, and build an important trust relationship with all stakeholders, we will be communicating this on digital platforms in the near future.

‘We are all working towards a common goal of improving the water quality at Zandvlei and Zeekoevlei by reducing pollution,’ said Councillor Zahid Badroodien, the Mayoral Committee Member for Water and Sanitation.

See water quality results below for Zandvlei and Zeekoevlei Note: The results below were obtained using the colilert E.coli testing method, as this method was used for recent joint sampling to align with the tests of other laboratories. The City currently uses the colilert method for drinking water testing, and while fully proficient in conducting this testing in any context, is planning to obtain accreditation for its use in environmental waters as well.

Minutes and portfolio reports (February 2022)

Minutes of EXCOM – MARINA DA GAMA ASSOCIATION held on 8th February 2022 at the Offices of the MDGA at 18h00 

1. Welcome to all –
Present – Patrick Mc Kenna, Paul Higgins, Richard Midgley, Nick Bode, Graham Barratt, Ulf Martz, Dominique Erasmus
Apology – Peter Allen
Absent – Tharwah Davids

2. Unanimous Approval of Minutes of 11th January 2022

3. Portfolio Reports

3.1       TREASURER, COMPLIANCE AND LEGAL

Bank Balances: as at 04/02/2022

Cheque A/cR21,089.66
Archcom A/c R319,032.88
Money Market A/cR615,519.34
TotalR955,641.88

4)    Matters Arising

(A)       Nomination for Vice Chair – Nominated by P Higgins – Ulf Martz – Unanimously Voted by Exco for Vice Chair– Congratulations Ulf

(B)       Resolution – Bank Signatories – removal of people left Exco, addition of new Signatory – Lise Carswell to be removed, and Ulf Martz to be added – unanimous approval

(C)       New Member – Jannik Röttcher – Park Island resident and qualified Land Surveyor –will join Exco in Infrastructure portfolio – with Ulf doing handover– Congratulations Jannik

 (D)       Budget 2022 – presented – unanimously approved by Exco

 (E)        Special Rates Area (SRA) and or Gated Community (GA)- Chair raised these issues as the most significant issues that will improve the value of properties in the Marina. They are very different options – basically the SRA is a mechanism to have City collect monthly special rates fee, that the Marina Association can use to benefit members. The GA is a different proposition that we would apply to City, and if successful we would close the Marina, with selected entrances having Guard Houses and complete access control. The MDGA would require 75% of Members approval, and would have to enter into binding agreements to preserve and maintain all City assets, which would have to be bought or leased from the City, like Roads, Public open Spaces etc. This would be a significant step – with a transfer of infrastructure risk to the Marina. The possibility is there that sections of the Marina could be closed and not the entire Marina? This is a weighty issue and the City documents will be shared with Exco as a first step in the process.

(F)        Events – DE and PM – looking into hosting weekly mini events at Franks Coffee Shop– events like poetry, art classes, Self Portraits etc. An Open studio’s – event that would be held over Easter in April – where artists could open their houses to the public – to show case their artworks/crafts.

(G)       Marina Shirts – UM – is to get samples of Marina shirts – for sale to members

(H)       Welcome Pack is completed and PM will get final sign off from advertisers – after Exco voted unanimously and with appreciation for a magnificent job done

(I)         Money raised by DE at Park Fair to be spent on Uitsig Park – MDGA to supplement   

(J)        Frustration expressed by Exco regarding garden cutting pickups by City – it was stressed that only Public Open Space’s cuttings are the responsibility of the City – any domestic cuttings are the responsibility of the Household and not the City.

5)     Date of next meeting – 8th March 2022 at 18h00 at MDGA Offices

Meeting Finished at 19h00

 Infrastructure – Ulf Martz

Overview
Activities during January 2022 involved attending City of Cape Town meetings at the Marian da Gama and at ZPAAC.

Asset Management
CoCT Procurement of a new weed harvester, commissioning and delivery expected June 2022 – See waterways report.
Still awaiting asset register in terms of municipal services from the CoCT,

Roads and Stormwater
Various correspondence addressed to the CoCT relating to the Marina da Gama Road conditions and status of the M3-M5 link were sent to City officials. Awaiting response.

Infrastructural Development
Zandvlei Expressway/Parkway (M3-M5) link road, refer to the CoCT Southern District Develop Plan:
Provided input to City’s Draft IDP 2022 on 13 January 2022.
Vrygrond Housing Development – comments submitted.

Bridges
Nothing to report.   

Water and Sanitation
A meeting was held on 20 January 2022 with City officials from DWS relating to the malfunctioning pumpstations. Further discussions were held at the ZPAAC meeting held on 26 January 2022. – refer to Waterways Report.

Electricity Supply
Nothing to report.  

Incidents and Faults Logged
Road accident in Uitsig, resulting in a resident’s wall being damaged has been recorded. Introduction of Traffic calming measures to be applied for with the City of Cape Town.  

Pedestrian Flows
The high pedestrian flow on Eastlake Drive using the roadway is considered hazardous for motorists.
Consideration to provide appropriate sidewalks should be addressed with the CoCT. A formal submission will be prepared.

STANDARDS – Graham Barratt

PERIOD ENDING 31 JANUARY 2022

The year has got off to a slow start after the Dec/Jan holiday. Robbie is presently working through and actioning items on “Action lists” which were drawn up during the course of last week.

The main focuses being:

  1. to have three car wrecks removed from the public roadways;
  2. to get the Council to clean all solid waste from their green bins and other rubbish receptacles;
  3. To deal with the most severe and longest outstanding transgressions. In this regard Robbie and I will be doing weekly walkabouts, starting in Uitsig Moorings on Monday 7th Feb, thereafter progressing area by area throughout the Marina.

EVENTS – Dominique Erasmus

EVENT PROPOSAL

WHAT: Open studio weekend 

               : arts workshops – weekly drawing/ watercolor/ poetry eve etc 

WHEN: Easter weekend, Saturday 16-Sunday 17 April 2022 from 12.00 noon to 6.00pm 

               : LAST WEEK IN FEB. WED OR THURSDAY EVE 6-8PM WEEKLY

WHERE: Within Marina da Gama only

                  : Frank’s Coffee & Bagel Bar in Eastlake Shopping Centre

HOW MUCH? Publicity/design/printing budgets for the open studio weekend TBD; ditto cost of space for weekly workshops. A3 flyers = R25 at Epic Print.

                  : No cost for premises 

 NEXT STEPS FOR OPEN HOUSE STUDIO

  • Publish 2 x successive call for entries in email newsletters w/ending 11 02 2022 and 18 02 2022
  • Follow up on Facebook weekly until 16 04 2022
  • The content will emphasise that the weekend is a launchpad for a series of weekly artistic workshops in Eastlake Shopping Centre
  • The categories: all arts/crafts – painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, jewellery, ceramics/pottery, glassware, sculpture, textiles, metalwork, woodwork/woodturning, mosaics, interiors, furniture (hard and soft), tableware, accessories, lighting, writing and poetry. We may explore the possibility of hosting a music event.
  • Set deadline for responses from exhibitors as 28 02 2022
  • Draft registration document
  • Send out registration document to each respondent by w/ending 11 03 2022
  • Registration document will include name, address, area of expertise/production, contact details, website/social media details, indemnity absolving MDGA for any loss, theft or damage during visits
  • DISCUSSION POINT: Should we steer away from names with addresses? Perhaps just a company name or skill name and address. Only enough info to get the job done basically. 
  • DISCUSSION POINT: Do we need to include any other T&Cs?
  • Begin publicising the event and weekly workshops in email newsletter w/ending 1 04 2022, 8 04 2022, 15 04 2022
  • Publish full list of exhibitors with addresses and specialist areas across all channels w/ending 8 04 2022
  • Follow-up on Facebook from w/ending 1 04 2022
  • Design/print flyer for delivery and distribution w/beginning 4 04 2022
  • Design/print visitors’ map for delivery w/beginning 11 04 2022.

I have not had any reasonable suggestions from community on how to spend the R2510 raised in December 2021. Can we vote on what to do with monies?  

ARCHCOM – Paul Higgins

Archcom meeting was held on 03 February 2022 attended by Gordon Hart and me.
Seven new plans were submitted, and five plans were approved.
One submission needed some clarification or minor changes before our consent will be given, the other needs to comply with City Building regulations.
No objection to one departure was dealt with.

COMMUNICATIONS – Patrick McKenna

With support from Lise Carswell, the team continues to publish content through all our channels – our website, Facebook, the weekly email newsletter and our blog. We are currently in the process of looking for a new online support person to take care of all the backend processes. The next major campaign will involve working with the Events portfolio to publicise the planned Open Studio weekend in April.

SECURITY – Peter Allen

Please find below the Crime reported to/attended by DBS.

 Sonnet/SpearheadSonnet QuayTheft06.01.2206h25NoWater meter stolen

LPR triggers for January 2022.

Triggers received – 43
Vehicles involved – 17

Alleged Crime Types

  • Burglary Residential
  • Drug Dealing
  • Abalone Poaching
  • Robbery Armed
  • Robbery Common
  • Suspicious MV
  • Farm Attach
  • Fraud
  • Possibly Sought Vehicle
  • Remote Vehicle Jamming
  • Stolen
  • Theft of MV or MC

Outcome:

  • 23 Triggers: Vehicles were out of the area before SSP’s arrived
  • 17 Triggers: Vehicles were followed out of the area by SSP’s
  • 1 Trigger: Vehicle recovered in Lakeside. 2 suspects arrested
  • 1 Trigger: Vehicle followed to area boundary
  • 1 Trigger: Vehicle recovered in Plumstead. 1 suspect arrested

PARKS AND MAINTENANCE

Extra days work:

  • public open space in Battle Ridge cleared
  • bees removed & trees trimmed at Battle Ridge wall.
  • clear weeds along Prince George Drive wall

All on behalf of the City of Cape Town – quid pro quo; grass & tree cuttings, weeds and algae to be removed by the council.  

WATERWAYS – NICK BODE

1) The CoCT have budgeted for weekly drone flights to monitor algal growth and blooms in the waterways for the next two months. This will help to inform the priority areas for clearing by the weed harvester.

2) Two boat crews with 6 people each will be hired by the CoCT to mop up alga in areas the weed harvester can’t get to. The contract will hopefully be finalised next month – teams are working at Dabchick

 3) The construction of the first of two new weed harvesters (1 for Marina Da Gama) is expected to be completed and delivered by June/July 2022.

4) Kingfisher has had a mechanical breakdown – we are awaiting feedback about turnaround time

City visit: a step towards filling the info gap

Persistent lobbying over many months by the MDGA paid off this week when a high-level delegation of key decision-makers from the City of Cape Town (CoCT) met with members of the MDGA ExCom in the Marina to map the way out of our continuing water crisis.

Lead by Cllr Zahid Badroodien, the newly elected Mayoral Committee member for Water and Sanitation, the 11-strong delegation also included the heads of Reticulation, Pump Stations and Cape Nature.

While emphasising that the MDGA had called the meeting in the spirit of constructive engagement, Richard Midgley, the MDGA ExCom’s Chairman, was forthright in expressing residents’ concerns: “The algae is out of control, our waterways have now been closed for over seven months and we are in a worse position than we were a year ago.”

Point made: Pierre Maritz (left) discusses pump station maintenance with Cllr Zahid Badroodien (centre) and Richard Midgley

“We are not talking here about a public access issue,” continued Richard. “This is a real problem for residents around Zandlvei, particularly in the Marina. The waterways crisis impacts on our members’ lifestyles; makes them question their reasons for choosing to buy and live here; and, worst of all, the situation dramatically affects the value of their properties.”

While acknowledging the wider service delivery challenges facing the CoCT, Richard also pointed out that the MDGA is virtually powerless when it comes to keeping the Marina’s 1,352 households fully informed about what is happening on Zandvlei. “On our members’ behalf, we have a single purpose for calling this meeting: to understand the causes underlying the sewerage spills and to learn how the CoCT plans to remedy the situation so that our waterways can be reopened and kept clean and safe. A lack of information simply exacerbates residents’ frustrations.”

In the same co-operative spirit, members of the CoCT delegation took turns to outline the measures that their departments are currently taking to reinforce and maintain Cape Town’s water and sanitation infrastructure – and stop sewerage from entering Zandlveli.  

Among other positives, all sewerage lines in Muizenberg, Constantia, Bergvliet, Meadowridge and Tokai have now been relined and the CoCT is currently assessing quotes from contractors to finish cleaning lines in Lavender Hill and Seawinds. Relining has been instrumental in eliminating sand from the sewerage system, preventing pump station failures and damage. All CoCT’s pump stations are also being retrofitted with grids to prevent damage while manholes are being fitted with covers to prevent illegal dumping. Issues with pump station telemetrics have also been resolved. In addition, Pierre Maritz, Manager, Reticulation, committed to forwarding service/maintenance records for all 10 pump stations in the Marina to the MDGA office. Overall, the CoCT has committed a significant capital budget to pump station upgrades and pipe replacements for this financial year and most of this budget has been allocated to Zandvlei.

Potentially, the most important action arising from the meeting was a commitment to setting up a dedicated technical sub-committee to address the ongoing sewerage spills into Zandvlei and the extremely high nutrient load that is feeding the current algae blooms. Not a silver bullet or magic wand, perhaps, But certainly a step in the right direction.

Commenting on this advance, Richard Midgley said: “Regular meetings with the City’s most technically skilled decision-makers will go a long way to applying pressure on the authorities to deal decisively with the problems that we currently face.

“We fervently hope that the spirit of partnership we took away from the meeting will lead to effective long-term solutions for Marina residents, our neighbouring communities and the precious environment that we share.”

“Meanwhile,” added Richard, “on behalf of Marina residents, I would like to extend our sincere thanks to all members of the CoCT delegation for taking the time to hear our concerns and commit to finding solutions.”

The MDGA will continue to persist in its efforts towards ongoing constructive and productive engagements with CoCT on behalf of all Marina residents.

CoCT delegation in full

Cllr Zahid Badroodien, Mayoral Committee Member for Water and Sanitation; Abdulla Parker, Manager, Stormwater and Sustainability; Pierre Maritz, Manager, Reticulation; Abongile Duna, Manager, Pump Stations; Sigqibo Nogaya, Head, Reticulation Wastewater Conveyancing; Andrew Taylor, Sewer Engineer, Water and Sanitation Department; Alistair Lee, Engineering Hydrologist, Project Manager; Dalton Gibbs, Regional Manager South, Nature Conservation; Kyran Wright, Manager, Zandvleie Estuary Nature Reserve; Elethu Zembe, Catchment Planner; and City of Cape Town’s Odwa Ndesi.