Portfolio reports October 2023

Archcom – Paul Higgins

Archcom meeting was held on 10 Oct 2023, attended by Gordon Hart, Lise Carswell, Ulf Martz and me.
Two new plans were submitted, and both were approved.
Two Standards issues were commented on for Robbie / Connor.

Waterways – Ralph Richards

Zandvlei MouthClosed 17th October, Open 24th, Closed 31st
Progress of new weed harvesterCommissioning early December
Kingfisher 0peration3 sightings 4th and 5th Oct
DredgingStarts January 24th
Nets at Sand River mouthCleaned every second day – Nothing to report for October
Water qualityParameterDateValueLimit
e-coli19th Sep26 MPN/100ml< 1000 MPN/100ml
Chlorophyll (algae)5th Oct99 µg/l< 100 µg/l
Boat patrols by reserveDone weekly – Nothing untoward in October
Cleaning of coral wormManual clean 10th Oct under Park Island bridge
Sewage SpillEmanating from Pollsmoor, entering the Westlake River and then into Zandvlei – 9th Oct. CoCT team at the location and reducing further pollution. Reported by Cllr Carolynne Franklin
ZEMPAttended draft report presented 11th October
Water depthNo information from ZENR Management. Will follow up
Liaison with StakeholdersUrban Liveable Waterways Presentation21st SepTo get a better understanding of the project and how it will affect Marina da Gama.Show support for the initiative.Make further contacts
Reserve Manager6th OctMake contact with Kyran Wright and discuss the waterways portfolio. Some extra contacts were provided. Information such as opening and closing of the mouth, dredging dates, commissioning of new Harvester and cleaning of coral worm was provided. Requested to contact him on a regular basis for information on the Pop-up and monthly report.
Draft proposal of the ZEMP11th OctTo get a better understanding of the project and how it will affect Marina da Gama.Show support for the initiative.Make further contacts.A summary and my interpretation of the ZEMP is in the pipeline.

Communications – Lise Carswell

  • The website is falling apart and it isn’t possible to update certain pages which are showing outdated information.
  • Proposal to the Excom to close down the facebook page or at least make it only for Excom to post.
  • Newsletters sent out on schedule.

Conservation and engagement – Caitlin Melidonis

Past Month’s Activities

  • Full moon walk took place on Park Island on 31 September with six residents in attendance. Four grysbok were sighted along with a barn owl, night herons, bats, chameleons and many spiders!
  • Attended the presentation of the Estuary Management Plan for Zandvlei – Marina residents are still able to comment on the document online and have been encouraged to do so in the latest MDGA newsletter.

Issue/s requiring attention

  • Drafting and circulation of information sheet about injured wild animals (who to call, what to do etc.)

Additional dates for a second full moon walk and bird walk before the end of the year to be discussed with Nature Reserve Staff

Events – Valerie Benson

Marina Children’s Christmas Party – proposed date Saturday 16 December 2023
Have provisionally booked Father Christmas (David Muller) pending costs 
Need to check status of MDGA music equipment, speakers etc 

Marina Christmas Carols – proposed date Sunday 17 December 2023
Have contacted Mike English and original Carols band and advised proposed Carols date which they are happy with. 
Confirmed Don from Eastlake Island as the piper for the Marina Carols. He has played at them before. 

Marina Halloween Walk – Sunday 29 October 2023 from 4pm to 6pm
18 houses all through the Marina will be handing out sweets for the Marina Halloween Walk.
Every child is to be accompanied by an adult on the walk at all times
Those residents wishing to participate in the walk can obtain a map from me in exchange for a bag of sweets which will go to Where Rainbows Meet in Vrygrond. I will be handing out maps at Eastlake Island shopping center on Sunday 29 October 2023 between 3pm and 4pm.

COUNCIL – Demetri Qually

At its October meeting, Subcouncil 19 has supported the proposal to reserve a portion of land to the east of Capricorn Park for use as a Temporary Relocation Area (TRA). This is in order to be able to relocate the people who illegally invaded Nature Reserve land and thus restore its conservation status.

The report can be viewed here


Municipal Infrastructure – Ulf Martz

  1. Past Month’s Activities

The last month’s activities revolved around liaison with the City of Cape Town officials regarding the re-instatement of the collapsed wall, the planning of alternative access routes to ZENR, Meeting with The New World Foundation director, and inquiry into the CoCT fence installed at its pump station on PGD.

  • Collapsed Boundary Wall

Sections of the northern boundary wall had collapsed after a storm. The matter had been addressed and communicated to the City of Cape Town officials, and with the assistance of Valerie Benson, the City of Cape Town (CoCT) implemented temporary fencing to close off the area due to security concerns. However, the temporary fence was removed leaving an open passageway through the wall, which poses a security risk.

Further communication between the MDGA and City officials and councillors ensued.

Whilst the onus of reinstating the section of boundary wall falls on the property owner, in this case the CoCT, they appear to be reluctant to build a new wall.

The whole section of the wall also poses a safety risk as parts of it will fall. It is recommended that the existing wall be demolished and rebuilt to structurally sound standards. This will need to be done by the City of Cape Town, as the wall is on their property and poses an Occupational Health and Safety risk to the public.

The wall was poorly constructed (or repaired) in the first place, with no evidence of structurally sound best practices, and the wall has rotated off the vertical, which could be a result of poor workmanship, or that no adequate foundations have been provided. Additional signs of structural failure are evident.

Recommendations would be for the City of Cape Town to take ownership and repair the wall to structurally sound standards.

Whilst the boundary wall does not rest with the Infrastructure Portfolio, it is recommended that the MDGA through its collaborative efforts with the various stakeholders and primarily with the council, to drive the reconstruction of this section of wall.

Further sections of the wall had collapsed posing further risks to public safety.

Mitigating measures have been considered whereby quotations for a ClearVu© fence be erected, just south of the boundary wall so that it will not be seen as a replacement of a permanent wall, which would still rest with the CoCT to re-install, to MDGA design codes.

It is further noted that the fence is foremost proposed as a security deterrent and not seen as a replacement of the wall.

It is also recommended that the proposal (and quotations) be presented to members via an OGM, for their “buy-in” and approval, via a resolution.

Water and Sanitation

The city has fenced off its pump station of PGD.

  • Issues requiring attention.
  • Further engagement with the City of Cape Town to escalate the repair work that needs to be done at the northern boundary wall, via the MDGA office.
  • Whilst a city official has notified the MDGA that they (City) have no objection to the MDGA erecting a fence on their property, this will need to be formalised in writing and signature.
  • To re-initiate the engagement with the City of Cape Town to bring the M4-M5 road link forward and not leave it under long term planning as published in the District Development Framework Plan. This should be part of the conditions imposed by the TIA for the imminent densification of Vrygrond.
  • Additional engagement with the CoCT/ Province regarding the proposed access through Oudevlei Road and the Special Needs School/ ZENR access road.
  • Resolution on the way forward with all Marina da Gama Boundary Wall, in terms of Standards and Council DAMS compliance.

Parks and Gardens – Valerie Benson

Meeting with Park Island CID Garden Portfolio holder (Euvrard Loubser), Park Island garden representative (Cherry Giljam) on 2nd October 2023 and subsequent meeting with Park Island CID Chairman (Boudje Giljam) on 12th October 2023

  • Met with the above parties from Park Island CID to discuss the recent planting of Thibault Walk Park and its impact on local ball games. The Park Island CID made the decision and approached council for permission to put up signage on the park re organised ball games and the planting of succulents to protect the grass in the relevant public open space.
  • Met with Park Island CID Chairman, Boudje Giljam, to discuss how Park Island CID would work in conjunction with the MDGA going forward. Park island CID has plans for their own POS and have a budget to add to the MDGA budget in terms of the MDGA Parks and Gardens. Information as to their plans to be made available to the MDGA in advance of each Tuesday that the Marina Gardeners are present.

Meeting with Cannon Island / Eastlake Island and Uitsig Peninsula garden representatives – Monday 16 October 2023 Met with the Marina garden representatives for Uitsig Peninsula and Eastlake Island/Cannon Island, today 16.10.2023 re the following:

  • Eastlake Island CID and Park Island CID – how they function alongside MDGA as they also have budgets for Parks and Gardens along with a budget for other portfolios – I advised that the Eastlake CID would only probably be active next year as it takes a year to 18 months to be approved. We are working alongside Park Island CID to smooth out the way forward seeing as it is new to both of our organisations. No changes to the way things operate at present is foreseen though. Park island CID’s Parks and Garden budget would be in addition to the MDGA budget for the portfolio.
  • Mowing of Public Open Spaces in the Marina – council has not mowed regularly so grass seeds are out of control. I have emailed the Parks department at council to raise this
  • Signage to protect our flower beds from pets running through them, destroying plants and leaving deposits in the beds – asked Andie to get quotes for 4 signs for three islands
  • Andie mentioned that there is a bluegum tree in Cannon Island that has branches dangerously long. I have raised this to the council Parks department
  • The Uitsig and Cannon Island/Eastlake garden represents will provide a small Christmas lunch for the Marina Gardeners as they did last year as a thank you. They voluntarily do this out of their own pocket and wish to continue in this way this year.
  • Council Parks department taking a long time to collect the garden refuse once the Marina Gardeners have been on a Tuesday. I have raised this to the council Parks department but we will also get quotes from local Marina residents who would be able to transport the refuse timeously away during the course of the same week that the Marina Gardeners have worked.


  1. Crime.

Muizenberg SAPS –

  • No Muizenberg or Sectoral crime figures were reported for this period up to 27.9.2023.
  • No murders had been committed, but there was a sharp increase in house breaking, thefts of and from vehicles.
  • The meeting was conducted by Lt Colonel Lourens in the absence of Captain Knapp. He encouraged safety activists to contact him om 0823009280 in the event of serious problems.
  • We were introduced to the new station commander – Colonel Johnston. She has done much of her recent policing in the False Bay area.
  • The police station now has a solar backup, and is able to operate24/7.

The meeting discussed a number of matters: –

  • widespread complaints about the actions of desk staff who refuse to accept criminal charges laid by the public
  • an increase in gang activity with the Vlakkers coming to the fore in Sea Winds and the 26 & 28 gangs in all sectors.


Three crimes were reported for the month of September, 2023: –

  • East Lake Drive – House Break and Theft (HBT) at 0640 on 9.9.23;
  • East Lake Marina Pub & Bistro – HBT – between 2200 and 0200 on 14.9.23
  • East Lake Marina Café – Common Theft (TC) – unknown time on 20.9.2023.

All crimes were reported to Muizenberg SAPS

LPR Triggers

Many triggers but mostly of no use to the Marina. One vehicle (not from the Marina) recovered.

  • Cameras.

The Oudevlei LPR has been handed over to Philsec Systems for repairing water damage, corrosion at a quote of R2932.50.

It is currently being re-aligned by DB, Philsec and Navic.

There is at least one more camera (Eastlake LPR) requiring repair for water damage.

  • North Wall.

There was much fussing about the north wall collapse. I have attended on site with Robbie and a reputable Clear view erector.

His quote is R50848 for 31.78 m of 1.8m high Clearvue – antresite including all posts. The quote includes erection, posts in concrete footings.

Robbie and Connor have obtained other quotes so we can finalise this matter.

I have sent a detailed bundle to all members of Excom showing that we can proceed

STANDARDS – vacant

Surrounding COMMUNITIES’ Liaison – Lathif Gafoor

* Songezo promised earlier in the year that you would reconnect with me regarding the removal of the build up of debris from the canals later in the year when the erratic water levels in the canal has stabilised

* Abdullah Parker / Alistair Lee would recall the subject of the “piping” system which I raised at a ZPAAC meeting earlier in the year

* the system was devised and installed in the canal by a student from UCT in his masters project

* it was an extremely effective system in capturing the debris but the tubing has now collapsed and the system needs to be revisited. Alistair undertook to do the investigation in having the project reinstated. I trust that Alistair has had some success in having the system resuscitated

* Alistair also promised to look into the outsized bobcat which according to Songezo is rotting away unused. This was procured to clean the canals but could not be lowered into the canal as it was of the incorrect width

* Kyran at the last ZPAAC meeting you promised that the grass along the pathway in question would be cut within two weeks. It’s now past the sell by date. Could we have some feedback.

* will the boomgate be installed soon as the project is now long overdue

Treasury – Jonathan Walters

The expenses for the month were the standard monthly payments, though a new inverter is needed for the administrative office as the previous one is now dysfunctional, three quotes will be discussed and then the necessary unit can be purchased. 

I have met with the designated debt collector to ascertain the exact procedure for the collection process. My concern was not having sufficient notes on the reports to keep track of each case but he has gladly obliged to modify the reports accordingly for more clarity. 

A request was made to assess the maintenance expenses pertaining to gardening and security, to budget and evaluate. An updated income and expenditure statement for the recent month will be secured from the bookkeeper shortly and added to the archive for the website.

In the meanwhile, here is the information pertaining to the security and gardening that can be discussed in the meeting:

Average monthly gardening fixed expense for maintaining the gardens throughout the Marina = R11900. Two gardeners are recruited (under Friends of Park Island) and a further six through Staffa Hussein.

The average security monthly fixed expense is R14345, consisting of the Deep Blue subscription, plus the monitoring and maintenance of cameras through two companies, Navic and 5th Dimension.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *